Itinerary (Travel with us to one location or join us on the Grand Tour):
- Wednesday, January 20: Introduction
- Wednesday, February 10: France
- Wednesday, March 3: Switzerland and Northern Italy
- Wednesday, March 24: Rome and Southern Italy
For centuries part of being well-heeled meant traveling through Western Civilization on a trip known as The Grand European Tour as a young adult. These long and sometimes multi-year travels were meant to hone art appreciation and increase understanding of the ancient world.
This winter we’ll embark on our own virtual Grand Tour. From the comfort of your armchair we’ll discuss the historic context of the Grand European Tour, why it still resonates with us today (and to a certain extent, still exists), and use modern literature to “visit” some of the Tour’s most enduring destinations.
Encouraged Reading List:
- January 20: The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James
- February 10: My Life in France by Julia Child
- March 3: The Passion of Artemisia by Susan Vreeland
- March 24: Angels and Demons by Dan Brown